Whether you are an essential business, or a business that has been forced to close and hope to reopen soon, all businesses are working to find the best way to keep their business, employees, and customers safe and free of coronavirus. That’s why those of us at Fresh Foam would like to offer you a bit of guidance when working towards reopening.
Staying on top of your facilities cleaning measures during the outbreak has likely been fairly overwhelming for you, especially if you are trying to do it yourself. Keep in mind that we’re all in this together, so your employees are likely going to be happy to do their part to pitch in and keep their work area clean and safe. Your customers and clients will be grateful at any and all steps that you are trying to take to keep them safe as well.
Here are a few steps that we recommend when cleaning and disinfecting for coronavirus:
- Wait 24 Hours Before Cleaning – While your business may not have this option, some businesses do. If you have the ability to wait 24 hours before performing a deep clean, that is ideal. This will allow time for the virus to settle out of the air before anyone has to come into the area to clean it. The virus will still be on surfaces and the floor, but it shouldn’t still be in the air so it can be cleaned and disinfected. The CDC recommends waiting 24 hours before cleaning if there has been a suspected or confirmed virus exposure, but even if you aren’t sure, it is a good precautionary step to take to ensure your staff and customers are safe.
- Clean Before Disinfecting – Before digging in and disinfecting, you will want to do a general cleaning with an all-purpose cleaner like you would find at the drug store or supermarket. This allows the disinfectant to be more effective on surfaces if the dirt, dust, and grime has already been removed.
- Do a Deep Clean and Disinfection – This means you need to clean everything. Do more work than just vacuuming, mopping, and taking out the trash. You will want to pay extra attention to places that people are walking or touching often in your business. Think about light switches, doorknobs, sinks, handrails, telephones, cash registers, remote controls, refrigerators and other appliances, tables, chairs, desks, etc. It is almost impossible to do too much cleaning when it comes to coronavirus.
- Use an EPA Registered Disinfectant – At Fresh Foam we use a disinfectant that has been registered by the EPA to be effective against coronavirus. So, whether you take on the task yourself or hire someone to do it for you, be sure that the disinfectant being used has been registered by the EPA as effective in protecting you against COVID-19.
- Focus on High Traffic Areas – While you need to clean everything, it is especially important to pay extra attention to high traffic areas. Think of locations where lots of people come into every day, such as the fitness facility or laundry area of your apartment complex, the playground at a daycare, or the waiting room of a doctor’s office.
- Replace Air Filters – We know that the coronavirus is spread through water droplets that have been breathed or coughed into the air. Increased ventilation is important for facilities to limit the spread of these droplets. So, if you are running your air systems more, be sure that you install a new air filter so the system can run effectively and efficiently.
- Personal Protective Procedures – It is a good idea to place disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizer in strategically located places so that your employees and visitors can perform routine cleaning of their hands and surfaces throughout the day. Be sure that you post handwashing signs and make sure that there is ample soap and paper towels available. If masks are required, be sure that you provide masks to your employees, and even if masks are not mandated, it may be something you want to consider for your place of business.
Cleaning and disinfecting are now necessities for your business in hopes that your employees, customers, and residents can stay safe and healthy. If you have questions about disinfecting services or would like to schedule a service for your location, contact us at Fresh Foam today for a free estimate.